Sunday 29 December 2013

2014 Season

Started on 21-12-2013 with the seeds in soak for 48 hours. I know 24 hours is more customary, but I prefer two days as I find it can take almost a day for all the seeds to sink.

The seeds were placed in the rootriot cubes on 23-12-2013 and left to do their thing in the propagator. This year I'm only heating the prop half of the time (15 mins on, 15 mins off) to prevent over-heating as happened last year. I'm hoping for 90% germination this year.

Seeds in soak. This year I'd pre-written out the labels which was better than placing these on a sheet of paper.
A propagator full of dreams


So the grow list for the year... mostly sourced from semillas.de plus a few other bits and pieces I have lying around. There is one more variety to go yet, but that assumes I can find the seeds - try as I might I couldn't find them in my box, so another good look is required.

So, in no particular order:

  • Pinzón
  • Jellybean
  • Purple Habanero
  • JAFSH
  • Peruvian Golden - PI 238052
  • Beni Market - PI 543205
  • Cumari
  • Aji Cochabamba
  • Pimenta da Neyde
  • Aribibbi Gusano
  • Scarlet Lantern
  • Giant Rocoto
  • Trinidad Perfume
  • Bunte Mischung (x6)
  • Gumdrop (x5)
  • CGN 21500

Generally I've sowed three of each, except where noted. Most of these were picked from the website as being interesting, with a couple other reasons.

  • CGN21500 - having failed to get a proper crop in 2012, this is a second go 
  • Pimenta da Neyde - same as above. I gave up on this one in 2012 and found a couple of pods as I composted it. So now I wanted to give it another go with fresh seeds. 
  • Trinidad Perfume - I'm growing these for a friend at work, she really liked the flavour of the pods last year and is no great fan of heat, so these will be given to her once they reach a decent size. 
  • Giant Rocoto - I've only ever got one rocoto to germinate, and then it wouldn't set pods, so this is another try to get a rocoto pod of my own. I may put this outside in the peak of summer to help with fertilization (assuming it grows in the first place). 

No comments:

Post a Comment