Sunday 1 January 2012

Happy New Year

As of 1/1/12, I now have 14 seeds germinated ten days after sowing which is about as expected. It's quite nice at this time of year to wander down to the propagator first thing to see what's come up overnight. My only concern here is that I seem to have an uneven heat problem - I have had 10/12 germinations in the outer columns of the prop (extreme left and right) whereas elsewhere it's only 4/36. This could just be one of those things, but I think I'll give it a couple of days and then I might start moving some of the cubes about, to see if this changes. 


I've already got 3 out of 3 up for 3 varieties - assuming I don't do anything stupid these will be spares to go to a good home. 

The overwintering plants are a slightly different story. A few of them (Tepin, Marouga) are going great guns, many of them have some early signs of growth and three (Peach Hab, Aji Rojo, Red Savina) look dead. At the moment they're no trouble, so I shall leave to their own devices, but I suppose 9/12 isn't too bad. In previous years I've overwintered differently - just bring the plants in, give them a trim. But this year I've cut the plants back, and heavily pruned the roots back before bringing them indoors. This is better from a space perspective, but clearly there are some impact on survival statistics. You cant win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment