Friday 13 January 2012

Mid Jan (13/1/12)

Just when I thought things were starting to slow a couple more hoops popped up. Most interesting among these was the mini rocoto. I'm quite looking forward to this variety - I had numerous attempts at germinating rocotos last year and failed dismally, so I'm one up on last year already.

So far it's not looking bad, I've now have one or more of most varieties with a couple of exceptions - the lances and rhombs  (which I expect to wait for) and the Pimenta da Neydes. The latter, I suspect I may have fried - these were some of the first to show signs of life, but then never made it up above the surface. I suspect the prop is too hot in the middle and this may actually have caused the problem, in fact most of the best germination has happened on the outer edges of the prop.

I have a couple of stalled hoops, which I suspect also were too hot and may not grow further (one is a Habanero Hot Lemon, the other a Peruvian Purple) - time will tell.

The plan now is to start a second batch of seeds as a gap fill and for the few things I couldn't fit in last time, these will be in soak shortly. Hopefully then I'll have 2 of my chosen varieties to grow on and a few spares besides.

No comments:

Post a Comment